Happy Birthday, Word!

April 27, 2010

Welcome to Word. Today is our official launch date. We have taken the past three months to get this project up and running. Hope you enjoy. We encourage you to look at our past posts, and we always welcome comments.

Word.

P.S. Follow us on Twitter!   @Word_Blog

Message about language through dance: This touching video is created by the talented artist Marlene Watts.  It was her final project in Renee Blake’s AAE class Spring 2009.

1. Maryam permalink
    April 27, 2010 1:23 pm

This video is amazing! And so is the blog. I hope you all keep it up!

2. Ayeska permalink*
    April 27, 2010 3:53 pm

I love how the transition in her dancing style reflects the shift from Standard American English to AAE.

She’s so good too!

3. Louisa permalink
    April 27, 2010 5:06 pm

The video looks great! I just showed my friend and he loved it. He doesn’t know very much about AAE and said he learned a lot from the video alone.

4. Dwayne Williams permalink
    April 28, 2010 9:25 am

Welcome to the TerroDome of Language! Congratulations on your start. I will be following you work.

Word from a Brother,

Dwayne

5. 80laf permalink
    April 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Great blog! Thanks for sharing.
    We will to link this to our building blog (80 Laf res hall) as another resource for our residents 🙂
    -tera

6. Andrea Kortenhoven permalink
    April 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Fantastic! Great work, all. I look forward to sharing this with my students.

7. Craig permalink
    May 2, 2010 3:37 am

If I had to place her dance style within at least two broad categories, I would say it was a mixture of Modern and West Indian dance. Does thinking that it is not the standard form of those dances make it sub par or any less artistic and expressive? Just as all dance styles are derived from others, dialects and languages are derived from other dialects and languages. With that in mind consider how speakers of standard American English look down upon speakers of African American English. AAE is a derivative of standard American English, does that make it of lower quality? Then again “Standard” American English is a derivative of British English, so what makes a derivative of yet another form of the language any better than its product? The British look down upon American English just as Americans look down upon AAE. Even British English has its roots as well. So what makes one any better or worse than the next? It is like a father telling his son “You will never be as good as I am. You can either correct yourself and follow in my image or you can disappear!” That is a pretty disturbing image to think of, so why should the situation involving AAE and SAE be any different? Just as a son inherits some of his fathers traits, AAE has inherited some of SAE’s traits. The same can be said of SAE and British English. There will be similarities , but there will definitely be differences. Knowing that, can we really condemn something for being a different form of whatever it is we know? I think not.

8. shipra permalink
    May 3, 2010 7:17 pm

I love how the artist uses her dance style to talk about language. It is so engaging to see this video because it speaks volumes to someone who is not familiar with AAE and helps them understand better what AAE is all about.